I rescued this bar stool from the curb a few months ago and it’s been sitting in my garage giving me the evil eye every time I walk in there. I decided to look for bar stools on Pinterest (I’m so addicted!!) and found so many I absolutely loved! BUT, I REALLY loved one that I saw with a french graphic on the top with black legs, so I decided I would try to replicate it, but give it my own twist as well.
Here’s how mine ended up:
And here’s how it started…. sort of – as usual I forgot to take a picture of it before I started priming/painting the top… but the legs are the original ugly green here. Before the top was white with stickers all over it.
First, you may notice that there are some rungs missing… well, instead of going to the effort and cost of replacing them, I decided to just fill the holes. These little buggers were quite deep, so I used some balled up masking tape and stuffed it in and put wood filler over top. Then I sanded and primed the areas I filled.
I spray painted the legs in Krylon black satin (thankfully this weekend was sunny, so I could get outside on the grass… Yeah!)
For the top, I didn’t bother sanding much – there were some bumps and grooves in the wood, but my plan was to distress the surface anyway, so these would add to the overall look I was going for. I didn’t prime the surface either; it had previously been painted white and was covered with stickers, so I just removed them and got to painting with my antique white Behr paint.
Then onto the image. I picked this one from the graphics fairy and got to transferring with my carbon paper. The transferred image came out really light, but I was able to see enough to get the outline started with my paint pen.
As I was working, my paint pen blobbed out on me and created this mess, which wouldn’t wipe away… soooo I decided to scrap this part of the graphic (which was tedious anyway) and finish the rest. I later sanded down the part I wanted to get rid of and re-painted it. Here’s how it ended up looking… I think I like it better without the top part anyway!
I distressed a little and put some minwax finishing paste on the top.
Have a great day!
Linking up to the parties listed on my Linky Page and Wow Us Wednesdays!